Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Andi

7 am: Waking up at summer vacation time. Ahhh. The alarm was set, though, because I have a shopping date with my mom. We will be visiting baby stores, getting ideas for the nursery.

7:30 am: Breakfast on the patio consists of peanut butter toast and a peach. No coffee because I am trying to whiten my teeth. Brainstormed with my husband that Mountain Dew soda might be necessary during the bleaching treatments...necessary caffiene without the dark color which could stain.

8 am: Left my house to travel to Mom's. She lives about half-an-hour away. Easy to get to on the freeway.

8:45ish: Leave Mom's house with several pages of mapquest.com directions. I drive. Mom gets to knit on her sock. Life can be very unfair. We have light, easy conversations about her work, my work, various people in our lives.

9:15ish: Arrive at the first mega-store. Oops, it doesn't open until 10! Plan B...move on to the next store on the list. Guesstimate how to get there, since neither of us is familiar with this side of town.

9:30am: Arrive at second baby store. Oops, it doesn't open until 10! Luckily, there is a Starbucks on the corner. Mom orders green tea, I try some cranberry juice. Does anybody know the tooth-staining potential of cranberries? I probably just ruined the whitening effects. Oh well! Mom distracts me from my knitting with magazines...one quilting, one knitting...lots of great patterns.

10am: Finally, it's time to shop! We move counter-clockwise around the store. Most of the cribs have a heavy feel, since they are designed to convert into a full size bed in a few years. At least we know what's out there.

11:15am: Move on to the next store on the list. Discover it is alot further away than we expected. After driving for about 20 minutes, we find the store, and walk in just to realize it is a consignment store. Not that there is anything wrong with that! But, this is my first child, and at this point, I am willing to spend a little more on new things.

11:30am: Decide to take the freeway back to the first mega-store. Found a couple more stores in the yellow pages. They are relatively easy to find, and open when we arrive! The first one was a darling little boutique, mainly clothes. Gender specific clothes, which don't do us much good yet, since we don't know if it's a girl or a boy. But, we found an adorable teddy bear. The next store was more of an interior decorator place, so that was just in-and-out. Time for lunch!

12:15pm: We walked around the strip mall looking for a restaurant. Yes, we looked at the map, went the wrong way, doubled back, and then found out it was closed. Bummer. But look, across the parking lot is another restaurant that doesn't have a location on our side of town! Perfect. Mom had seafood enchiladas, I had a pecan-crusted chicken and spinach salad. Both were delicious. And since it was a special occasion (Wednesday is too a special occasion!) we splurged on dessert. Mom had blueberry cobbler a la mode, and I had fudge pie with fresh whipped cream.

1:30pm: Back at our original destination, a home furniture mega-store. It was amazing...arrows on the floor to guide you. It felt like Disneyland! I saw some cute toys, and I could probably redecorate my living room there, but the cribs were institutional-looking. I did buy some mesh-type drawer organizers.

2:30pm: Back on the freeway for the long drive home. Rush hour starts early! Again, Mom got to knit. But about a mile from home, she realized she didn't make the heel flap the right size, so she ripped out basically all the knitting she had done today!

3:00pm: Back at Mom's house, we did a little bit of online shopping. She found the most wonderful crib with a giraffe on it. Giraffes are my thing. We had already decided to do an African safari theme, and this crib would be perfect. It's a little expensive though, so we're still debating that purchase.

4 pm: Home at last, and really tired (lack of caffiene I'm assuming). Hubby and I lay down to nap and I tell him all about my day. Realized after about 15 minutes that I wasn't going to fall asleep.

4:30pm: Get up and check email.

5 pm: Walk to the 3D mailbox. Wednesdays are the junk day...grocery ads mainly. But I did get a magazine and a catalog to flip through.

5:30pm: Heat up some leftovers and eat on the couch in front of the TV. Decide to put a movie on while I add binding to a quilt that I am showing in a class on Saturday. I am not happy with the quilting in one part...the tension in my machine was off and the back of the quilt is a mess. Maybe tomorrow I will have time to use a practice piece to adjust the tension, then rip out and fix the mess.

8:30pm: Quilt binding is done. Looked at the TV guide and discovered the show I wanted to watch at 10pm is not on until 11pm. There really isn't anything else worthwhile on, and I'll probably fall asleep before 11. I'll call it quits and submit my diary.

Goals for tomorrow...sock knitting! Load new quilt onto longarm! Catch up on the blogs I missed this week!

That was my day. Submitted by Andi in Phoenix, Arizona

2 Comments:

Blogger L. said...

Andi,

One of these days, I'd love to try quilting if I can find time to sqeeze it in between knitting and crocheting. :)

10:03 AM  
Blogger Bess said...

I remember how much fun it was to baby shop! It was the most extravigant thing I ever did. Besides, those baby things are soooo cute.

Congratulations.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home